From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Campbell, Tony
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:09:31 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:32:37 +0100
From: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tony Campbell's retirement
Sender: "Campbell, Tony" <[log in to unmask]>

I retire from my position as Map Librarian at the British Library this
Thursday (2nd August), after 17 years in the Library and 14 in that post.
However, I shall be continuing with all my history of cartography
activities:  the International Conferences on the History of Cartography,
the 'Maps and Society' lectures at the Warburg Institute, Imago Mundi, and
the JB Harley Fellowships.

Politicians - at least in the UK - leave to 'spend more time with their
families'.  My family's view on this is ambivalent but I will certainly be
spending more time with my website.  There will be little excuse in future
if the 'Map History' pages are not kept up to date.

Please continue using my British Library address and email (as below).
After a break, I hope to be returning part-time in the Autumn/Fall to work
(voluntarily) on updating my indexes to MS maps in the BL (1992).  When you
come to London to see our new map exhibition do please call in to the Maps
Reading Room and ask if I am in that day.  I would be delighted to come out
to talk about anything other than Library business!

The Map Library's position within the BL's evolving new structure is still
unclear.  However, I am delighted to say that Peter Barber will be
succeeding me as Map Librarian.

Tony Campbell

Tony Campbell, Map Librarian
British Library Map Library
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
UK

Fax:     020 7412 7780   International:  +44 20 7412 7780
Please bookmark and PROVIDE LINKS to:-

1. The British Library Map Library homepage:
     http://www.bl.uk/collections/maps

2. Map History / History of Cartography: THE Gateway to the Subject:
     http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/

legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify
the [log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be
disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British
Library. The British Library does not take any responsibility for
the views of the author.
--- End Forwarded Message ---