From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:00:49 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Japanese GIS data
Date:   Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:04:07 -0600
From:   Chieko Maene <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I explored the Japanese government GIS website hosted by the Statistics
Bureau of Japan. (I am Japanese, so I was curious about the site) The
site is great! though, the data I downloaded does include Japanese in
the string (character) fields, which is not too good for people who
don't read Japanese. Much information is numeric, so this language
problem shouldn't bother international users too much, I hope. Anyhow, I
found the answer to Mr. Winters's question on its FAQ page. According to
the site, question 13, "How can I download nation/state/province wide
data at once?" - there seems to be no easy way..

"We are very sorry, but the GIS plaza site users can download data at
city/borough/town/village level only. (here comes another apologetic
sentence in Japanese) We are sorry, but, if you need to download data
for a larger area, please download one dataset at a time at the
city/borough/town/village level, or purchase data from private vendors."
http://gisplaza.stat.go.jp/GISPlaza/faq.html

Chieko..
--
Chieko Maene