From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:40:42 -0500
Seven replys are combined into this one message.
Moderator

XXXXX Message 1 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Somebody once mentioned plumbers piping, plastic, which you can get in, say
12" diameter, so that you maps will be rolled, and protected, but loosely
rolled, so you can indeed, "unroll" them for actualy use!!

I have seen some nice wooden umbrella stands, sort of like wineracks, but
vertical, if decor is important. Rolled maps could be slipped into the
vertical slots.

End of the day, no more ideas from this quarter.

Alice

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
           under whose shade you do not expect to sit.
                                             - Nelson Henderson

XXXXX Message 2 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi,

We had a number of rolled wall maps that were too long to stand on end.  We
bought a bunch of wall mounted gunrack hooks and hung them on the wall.  We
can get about two rolled maps per pair of hooks.  Not an ideal solution for
access, but it works pretty well for storage.

I'm not sure where we got our rolled map boxes.  I think the wooden ones may
have been custom made. They're pretty old.

Kathy Stroud, Map/GIS Librarian
Government Information and Maps
Peter J. Shields Library
100 NW Quad
Davis, California 95616-5292
(530) 752-5248

XXXXX Message 3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Kathleen
I would strongly advise that the wall maps are rolled and kept flat, not
standing up on their ends.  We have over 400 of them in our collection
and we either roll them around themselves and then wrap in Tyvek which
is tied on with cotton tape.  The maps are then stored at their LC no.
on top of our horizontal map cabinets.  Some are also stored in
triangular shaped acid-free boxes which we are no longer able to
acquire.  Some of the maps which require support have also been wrapped
around clear polyester tubes or plastic plumbing pipes, then treated as
described earlier.
I did an article on our storage systems many years ago for the WAML
journal - I think about 1992?  If necessary I can hunt it out and get
the correct reference.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia
Canberra  ACT  2600
Phone : 61 2 6262 1280
Fax: 61 2 6161 1653
Email : [log in to unmask]

XXXXX Message 4 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kathleen-
David Cobb left gun rack type wall map stands.  They took too much room.
I changed over to a pipe frame with steel rods across the top.  I
screwed cup hook into the end of the wooden rods of the maps and hung
them.

Daniel T. Seldin
Map Cataloger
Technical Services Dept.
Indiana University Libraries
Main Library E350
1320 East Tenth St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-3907
812-855-2059

XXXXX Message 5 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kathleen,

        This one has been answered before. But I will add the citation
to the Map Librarian's toolbox. Linda Zellmer

Title: Wall map storage methods: a photo essay
Other Titles: photos from Louisiana State University, Texas State
Library, and Illinois State Library
Personal Author: Togashi, Ross R.
Journal Name: Information Bulletin (Western Association of Map
Libraries)
Source: Information Bulletin (Western Association of Map Libraries) v.
29 no. 2 (March 1998) p. 67-84
Publication Year: 1998

XXXXXXXXXXX Message 6 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Aloha Kathleen,

If you check out the WAML Information Bulletin, v.29, no.2, March 1998,
there is a photo-essay showing how Lousiana State Univ., Texas State
Archives, Illionois State Library, and Univ. of Hawaii Library handles
wall map storage.

If anyone has other clever ideas on how they deal with wall maps,
please share.

Aloha,
Ross Togashi, Photo-essay Editor
WAML Infomation Bulletin,

XXXXX Message 7 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kathleen,

I love NEDCC and here is a link to one of their pages that describes the
rolling
within 2 sheets of mylar option.  There is a good info within their site.
http://user823621.sf1000.registeredsite.com/plam3/tleaf49.htm

I have researched rolled map storage options for our collection and they
are hard
to find.  I have a specific retailer in mind for metal cases on wheels
that I'll
get to you but I need to track it down.  more later

Colin Kelly
Aerial Photography Collection Coordinator
Knight Library - Document Center
University of Oregon
phone:(541)346-4565   fax:(541)346-1958

XXXXX END XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX