From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:53:28 -0400
Subject:        Reproduction vs. facsimile cataloging and then acquisitions
question
Date:   Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:41:55 -0500
From:   Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

Here we go again.

When one takes a map, scans it and then plots (prints) the map - how
does one catalog that final product? In my situation, we don't own the
original or the digital copy, but received the maps as print outs (full
size, etc.). So, should this kind of map be catalogued as the map
itself, as a facsimile, or as a reproduction?

Another question, what are your thoughts on acquiring maps of this
nature? For instance, an individual or company obtains copyright or
takes non copyright material, scans it and then sells the digital image
or the printed map. I guess my question is, are any of you actively
collecting maps of this nature? What I'm referring to is different than
say, Historic Urban Plans where they assume copyright for the item. What
I'm asking about are really just print outs of an existing map.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts.

Angie Cope, Associate Academic Librarian
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211