From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 09:24:55 -0500
Subject:        FBI Looking for Owners of Recovered Art (Books and Maps)
Date:   Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:22:05 +0200
From:   MARZIO VENEMAN <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

ARCAblog <http://art-crime.blogspot.com/>
FBI Looking for Owners of Recovered Art (Books and Maps)
<http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/arcablog/~3/nhn0GNSCZFw/fbi-looking-for-owners-of-recovered-art.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

The FBI has posted
<http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/july/fbi-seeking-owners-of-stolen-artwork/fbi-seeking-owners-of-stolen-artwork>

[http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2013/july/fbi-seeking-owners-of-stolen-artwork/fbi-seeking-owners-of-stolen-artwork]

images of 57 rare books and maps in hopes of finding the owners:

     After a well-known dealer of rare maps was caught stealing from a
     Yale University library in 2006, a subsequent FBI investigation
     revealed that the man had stolen antique maps and other valuable
     items from institutions around the world. Most of the pilfered
     material was eventually returned to its rightful owners—but not all
     of it.

     *We are still in possession of 57 rare maps and books—some dating to
     the 17th century—and we would like to return them.* To that end, we
     are posting pictures and information about the items in the
     accompanying photo gallery in the hopes that the individuals or
     institutions who own them will come forward to claim them.

     “These items have been legally forfeited to the U.S. government,”
     said Bonnie Magness-Gardiner, who manages the FBI’s Art Theft
     Program. “Technically, they belong to the Bureau now, but we don’t
     want to keep them. Even though we have tried to find the rightful
     owners over the years, we are making another attempt.”

     After Edward Forbes Smiley, III was arrested for the Yale library
     theft <http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2006/september/maps092806>,
     he admitted stealing and selling nearly 100 rare maps from
     international collections over a period of seven years. With
     Smiley’s cooperation, we tracked down most of the dealers and
     collectors who purchased the approximately $3 million worth of
     stolen material. But returning the maps to their homes proved to be
     a daunting task.

     In many cases, the maps were cut from books with a razor and trimmed
     so they didn’t look like they came from books. Some of the maps had
     different titles—many in Latin—and could have come from several
     known copies of the same book. To further complicate matters, many
     libraries weren’t even aware they were missing items until we
     contacted them.

     “These maps aren’t vehicles with identification numbers stamped on
     them,” Special Agent Stephen J. Kelleher, who led the 2006
     investigation, said at the time. Special Agent Lisa MacNamara, who
     is working the case now from our New Haven, Connecticut Division,
     added, “Our hope is that by reaching out to the public in this way,
     we can get these historical items back to where they belong.”

     *The items still in our possession include rare maps such as an 18th
     century depiction of the United States, a 1683 street plan of
     Philadelphia, and several antique books.*

     **If you believe that one of the maps or books shown in the gallery
     was stolen from your collection, please contact Special Agent
     MacNamara at (203) 503-5268, or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask]
     <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. To claim any of the items, you will
     need to provide evidence of ownership and positively identify the
     item in question. That might include—but is not limited to—giving a
     description of special markings or stamps, wear patterns, specific
     damage, or other detailed information.

--

**Click here to visit my transcultural  professional profile and connect!**

*MUSEUM PACT FRONT PAGE:*<http://www.innl.nl/person/26903>
The profile includes the list of Collective Awareness Platforms for
Sustainability and Social Innovation (CAPS), incl. LinkedIn, please
visit Wikipedia for life-long learning via Open Educational Practise (OEP).

/This email message may contain privilliged information and is solely
intended for the recipient(s) mentioned above.  To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add max.rythmos [at] gmail_com to your address
book or safe list./

/Mysterious flux of ancient legends/