Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:18:27 -0600
Subject:        Wellington Williams, map engraver
Date:   Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:17:24 -0800 (PST)
From:   Jay Lester <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi MapHisters and Maps-L members,

There is a large map of NC with an 1854 copyright that lists "W.
Williams, Philadelphia" as the engraver. There are no attributes on the
map in regards to cartographer, printer, or publisher. The map measures
approximately 85" width. An image of a reduced photocopy is available
at this web site:
http://ncrec.dcr.state.nc.us/Cat/CatServer.ASP?WCI=MainEP&WCE=ViewMap&WCU=3.3.1.1.403;i

Can anyone provide me guidance to the location of Wellington Williams's
business records, if they exist. Also, did he ever print maps he
engraved, or were they always printed by someone else. If the latter,
any ideas on who might have printed this large map? I am interested in
learning the cartographer and any publication data about this map.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jay L.

Jay Lester
Chapel Hill, NC