From:
Al Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 11:54:42 EST

March 14, 1994

Note

From:     Al Fisher, National Data Administrator
          U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Subject:  Announcement of U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service WAIS
          Server

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) now has an operating
Wide Area Information Server (WAIS). WAIS is a mechanism for
making data and information available over the Internet.  Using
WAIS client software, one can search for data on multiple servers
by means of queries based on text and/or latitude/longitude
coordinates.

The easiest way to access

USFWS_Region_9_Info_Res_Mgt_Data_Admin

is to use WAIS client software to connect to the Directory of
Servers, search for "wildlife" (without the quotes), and save the
description of our server.  You can also key the following
address information directly into your WAIS client software.

(:source
 :version  3
 :ip-name "164.159.126.3"
 :tcp-port 1028
 :database-name "/data/wais/spxwais/irmindex/irmserv"
 :cost 0.00
 :cost-unit :free
 :maintainer "robin@fwssun1"
 :description "Server created with WAIS release 8 b5 on
 Oct 19 09:16:25 1993 by robin@fwssun1

This is the first of many approaches the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service will implement in order to share its data.  I am
currently working with several offices in the Service, National
Biological Survey, and National Park Service to describe data
sets and to establish similar servers.  If you want to know more,
please contact me.

Thanks.  ...al

Al Fisher
National Data Administrator