From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:00:44 -0500
Subject:        BioPower: Cartography of migration flows
Date:   Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:   MARZIO VENEMAN <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

 Dear subscribers Map-L,

With reference to the above, I take pleasure informing you as follows:

=====

http://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/2010/04/27/cartography-of-migration-flows/

" power of information society has shifted its focus from territory to
population (biopower). Consequently, mapping has been reconsidered not only
in terms of production of space and place, but also people who inhabit that
space (Pickles, 2002). Furthermore, ?mapping? no longer refers only to
physical and geospatial but has extended to other social phenomena such as
social networks, socio-political relationships between actors, email
conversations, militarization etc. We are presented with a new challenge ?
to visualize / map new mobilities of people, information and goods (or what
Castells <http://www.manuelcastells.info/en/> calls ?network societies? and
Apadurai <http://www.appadurai.com/>?cultural flow?).

According to Crampton <http://monarch.gsu.edu/jcrampton/> critical mapping,
which highlights the politics of mapping is one of the current cartography
trends. This trends reflects in migration cartography, where critical
mapping has become a tool of counter-knowledge, ?a polemical weapon?, in an
effort to influence political debates and policies points Williams
Walter<http://www2.carleton.ca/eurus/faculty-and-staff/research-associates/walters-william/>.
In the article ?The contested Cartography of ?Illegal Immigration?, he is
concerned with how cultural practices and in particular mapping and
cartography relate to anti-political economy. "

===

I trust this information is sufficient for your purposes, in case you
require any additional details, please do not hesitate to contact the
undersigned.

Yours sincerely,
Cordiali Saluti

Marzio Veneman