From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 11:59:54 EST
Pat (and other who may be interested),
     Don't be fooled by the claim of a fast 66 mhz machine.  A 50 mhz
actually runs faster.
     Now that I have your attention.  According to a magazine article I
recently read (last month), the 66 mhz machine runs at 66 for internal
processing only, like doing a dir or a cd.  But is that important?  After
all, how fast can you read a whizzing directory listing?  (And do you want
to?)
     When it comes to the workhorse needs, like data i/o, the machine runs at
a whopping 33 mhz.  Great.  And we all know that what we are interested it is
using DATA, some of it intensely slow for slower machines.

     A 50 mhz machine runs at 50 for everything.

     I apologize for not being able to give a citation for the magazine.  Its
at home and I'm at work.  But I felt this was important enough to get out
right away.  I'll try to find the issue tonight and post a message tomorrow.

     Also Pentium has not been the "saviour" that was hinted at.  Walk
carefully, Pat.  I'm not saying that Pentium is bad.  I'm suggesting that
Pentium has not yet proven itself to those who closely watch hardware
development.  For all the hoop-lah that preceded it, its been amazingly quiet
ever since.  That gets me a little nervous.

Debbie Lords

******   START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******

So now I am asking for the money to upgrade the system to a Pentium running
at 66 Mhz and three 1Gb drives.

Patrick McGlamery

******   END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******