From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:16:10 -0500
Maps-L members:
    The following missive was sent to the list by one of our members.
The message in trouble was sent to several lists in the form of an
attachment. When I, as Moderator sent out the message to the list, I
took the time to reformat the message so there was no attachment.  I do
ask that all Maps-L messages do not have attachments.  There are
several reasons, one being the problem cited below, another be virus
problems, and a third can be subscriber computers that will not read
the format of the attachment.  Attachments work well within an
organization where everyone has the same capabilities, but they can
cause problems in the larger world.  So I ask that you please try not
to use attachments. Most users of the Internet do not understand the
problem, or ignore it as it bothers a very small number of users. The
only solution, given that the Maps-L base is scattered all over the
world and has a very wide range of computers and software has been to
not use attachments wherever possible. I try to catch them, but do fail
at times when I am busy. In the case of this problem attachment, you
did not get it from Maps-L, but from another listserv.

Johnnie
Moderator, Map-L