From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:02:40 -0600
Subject:        RE: Use of Google Earth to visualize data
Date:   Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:52:42 -0000
From:   Fleet, Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>
A<[log in to unmask]>

Hi Chris,

I was interested to read your post, as we also have been using
ArcIMS/ArcSDE with SQLServer for the last four years (our main
applications are at: http://geo.nls.uk/ ), and recently we have also
wanted to explore alternatives with Google Maps and other open source
applications. Sadly, we haven't got very far, however, so would be keen
to hear any other responses, and I have only a few ideas below that
partly address your question.

We initially tried developing Google mashups still using ArcIMS/ArcGIS
Server, for example, by using the ArcGIS Web Mapping Service (WMS)
connector. The application at: http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html
displays a set of maps from 1:1 million to 1:10,560 scales as a Google
maps overlay, with the maps delivered through the ArcGIS WMS. This,
however, is not very fast, and more recently we have had much better
results not using the WMS or ArcGIS, but using pre-created tiles from
the original geo-referenced raster mapping (using the beta version of
MapTiler ( http://www.maptiler.org/ ) and with some initial results at:
http://geo.nls.uk/maps These tiled maps would also work well in Google
Earth, as well as Openlayers (also allowing possibilities of using
non-Google maps and satellite backdrops).

With regards to the vector mapping in your Arizona Electronic Atlas, the
ability to export layers and shapefiles to KML files steadily grows, and
I was pleased to discover recently with ArcGIS 9.3, ArcToolbox has
embedded tools that do this very well. You may know too of the
GMapCreator free software that CASA at the University of London created
(http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/software/gmapcreator.asp ) for putting
choropleth mapping into Google Maps. I realise this is just the first
stage of preparing the maps, but it's a start.

Sorry that this only partly addresses your question, but best of luck,
and I'd be interested to hear how you progress with the next phase of
the Atlas.

Chris Fleet
Deputy Map Curator
National Library of Scotland