From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:27:42 -0600
Subject:        RGS-IBG 2008 call for papers - Maps as Method
Date:   Wed, 16 Jan 2008 10:56:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:   martin dodge <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Call for papers - The Royal Geographical Society / Institute of British
Geographers Annual Conference, London. 27-29 August, 2008.

Session: Maps as Method

Session convenors:
Chris Perkins and Martin Dodge (University of Manchester)

Context:
There remains a widespread public impression that we work with maps
continuously, that cartography is somehow defining of geographical methods
for knowing the world. Yet it is apparent that many geographers do not
feel at home working through the map. Across a range of geographical
practices - be it research, publishing, or teaching - many, and perhaps
the majority, of geographers do not see the need to make and use maps. The
lack of map use has been well noted in the discipline over the last couple
of decades (Wheeler 1998; Martin 2000). Moreover, British Geography.s
seems largely disassociated from newly-significant approaches to the
visual representation of space, and spatial practices, that are blossoming
in wider social contexts and particularly online.

The goal of this session is to challenge the inexorable decline in map use
by demonstrating the  capabilities of geographers and others to work
creatively through cartography. The aim being to foster a theoretically
informed discussion around the different ways maps have been, are being or
could be employed in geographical research, and learning and teaching.
Importantly, we want to bring together scholars working across the
discipline, encourage dialogue between physical and human geographers, and
linking up of theoretical ideas with practical experiences to reveal  real
potential of maps to advance geographical praxis. We would also encourage
participation from those working in more applied policy arenas, along with
those engaging new technologies (such as the Web or mobile tracking)
directly in their academic practices. Ultimately, we hope to show how maps
can make a positive difference to what we do and, perhaps, show that the
public perception of geographers working through maps is not so confining
after all.

Suggested themes that show the renewed vigour of .maps as method.:
- maps as a participatory method that can draw in different stakeholders
- maps as a collaborative method linking co-workers
- maps as an insightful contribution to new theory
- maps as creative and playful methods
- maps as artistic methods able to beckon forth beauty
- maps as new ways to see the world (integrating new sensing and imaging
  technologies)
- maps as interactive method learning from the map hackers and geowankers)

The session will also be supported by the new 'Maps and Society'
commission of the International Cartographic Association.

If you are interested in contributing a paper to the session please email
a title and short abstract (maximum of 250 words) to Martin Dodge
([log in to unmask]) or Chris Perkins ([log in to unmask])
by 31st January 2008.

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/maps_as_method_cfp.pdf