From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 15:00:41 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: Canadian Geologic maps
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005
From: "Kumar, Irène" <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum'         <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Christopher.

The "A" series maps are an independent series although many accompany other
publications such as Memoirs and Bulletins. The series started in 1910. The
precursor to the "A" series was the Multicoloured geological maps published
from 1842 to 1930's or so. There is some overlapped between 1910 to the 1930
with some maps having both a Multicoloured geological map number and  an "A"
series map number.

As for the publications index, the Geological Survey of Canada no longer
publishes printed indexes. We rely on the GEOSCAN database. It is fairly
easy to get a listing of all "A" series maps, simply change the "Maximum
records to display" default to "ALL" then scroll down to: "Document Type"
and select "GSC-A series maps (geology). Click on "Search and Display
Results" and you should get 2185 records. You can also narrow your search by
delimiting a publication date range, region, etc.

I hope this will help you, but please contact me further should you require
additional information.

Regards,

Irène Kumar
Map Library and Open File Coordinator / Coordinatrice de la cartothèque et
des dossiers publics
Earth Sciences Information Centre / Centre d'information sur les sciences de
la Terre,
Natural Resources Canada / Ressources naturelles Canada
Room 121, 615 Booth Street / Pièce 121, 615 rue Booth,
Ottawa, ON K1A 0E9
CANADA
Tel: (613)947-3326
Fax: (613)943-1549

Canada's national earth sciences library / La bibliothèque nationale pour
les sciences de la Terre