From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:01:57 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Map and Geography Librarian article from the
Worcester Telegram
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks for sharing this article Angie. And for doing a great job Beverly! I
hope everyone gets a chance to visit the website and read this. Wish we all
had more coverage of the same sort in our local online and offline
newspapers and such! One thing my former SLA Chapter tries to do regularly
is publish "self portraits" of the many types of special libraries in
central Pennsylvania. Maybe this is something that can be done regularly in
MAGERT's new online journal, Coordinates? How about it folks? It would take
a bit of time and energy on the part of the administrators of the various
map collections but it would be interesting and informative to have this
kind of newsy article available for us to learn about other collections --
particularly when there's never enough time and money to go and visit the
collections and people in person!

That said, I was very pleased to be able to visit the History, Travel &
Maps collection and the special historical Seattle maps collection  and
their administrators at the Seattle Public Library (Mary Douglass and Jodee
Fenton) while on vacation these past two weeks. Mary and Jodee are doing
fantastic things with a relatively small but focused set of collections and
I'm honored that they sought me out for opinions/advice on
cataloging/classification and organizing issues. I look forward to
assisting them in the coming weeks and months on their varied projects. It
would be nice if Mary had more time to devote to the variety of organizing
issues she is dealing with too, there is so much potential good in the
general collection that the patrons in the Seattle area could benefit from
if and when the cataloging and related marking, sorting, etc. tasks are
done. I'll bet once the maps are cataloged and available in their OPAC the
collection's use will soar!

Paige