From:
Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2015 10:05:10 -0500
I would be a little careful about blanket statements. Some early maps,
notably those on laid paper, arguably do not need deacidification. There
could be considerations regarding early color and the need for
additional restoration related to the deacidification process itself.
Some institutions are not prepared for mass deacidification
(http://loc.gov/preservation/about/deacid/index.html). In terms of the
observational window, a decade might not be long enough for evaluation
of some materials. This can get tricky
(https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/7.-conservation-procedures/7.5-conservation-treatment-for-works-of-art-and-unbound-artifacts-on-paper),
and institutional budgets might also alter considerations.

I would be curious as to how some of the folks at the G&M division of LC
approach these decisions.

         Joel Kovarsky