From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 12:03:29 -0500
Subject: Re: Needed: map of Tibet
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 12:56:21 -0400
From: Tsering W Shawa <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Michael,

Which Tibet you are talking about? Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) or
whole Tibetan ethnic areas in China. You may or may not know, The PRC
divided the Tibet into different administrative divisions starting in
the early 1950s to 1960s. Besides TAR, there are Tibetan autonomous
preferectures and counties in Qinghai, Sichuan, Gansu, and Yunnan.

If you are looking for Tibetan Place names in Pinyin in the TAR, one of
the best resources is "Xizang Zizhiqu di ming zhi / Zhongguo di ming wei
yuan hui, Xizang Zizhiqu ren min zheng fu", [Beijing] : Zhongguo di ming
wei yuan hui, 1993 (Tibet Autonomous Region's place name book). I think
it was published in 1980s as classified books but later books were sold
to western libraries in early 1990s by non-government publisher. The two
volume books has maps of each county with place names labelled in
Chinese script followed by list of villages, townships, cities, passes,
rivers, mountains names written in Tibetan and Chinese scripts and
Pinyin. There is a similar type of book on Qinghai published in 1978 and
place names are written in Tibetan, Chinese, Mongolian scripts as well
as in Pinyin.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,
-Wangyal
Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems and Map Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Peter B. Lewis Library
Room 226, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804