From:
John Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 11:45:14 EST
Hi to all.
Last Summer I was asked to estimate the number of maps in the LSU Cartographic
Information Center.  There were plenty of print sources that listed previous
estimates but no indication of the method or if there ever was an actual count.
A quick lit search at the time didn't return any documentation on methodology
for estimating the number of maps other than GPO methods of estimating
microfiche and flat maps by the inch.  Since this would only work for a small
segment of the collection, and I was pressed for time, I devised my own method.

The question is:  Has anyone on the listserv developed a method to estimate
the number of maps in a large collection? Is there a set of standards such as
"one map sheet with five insert maps counts as one (or five) maps" or
a "four sheets that can be put together as one map counts as one (or four)
maps?"

Thank you in advance.

John Anderson
Map Librarian