From:
Stan Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1993 17:15:19 EDT
As one of the founders of CUAC I can say that its origin was in response
to the Defense Mapping Agency's seeming indifference to the Map Library
community.  We felt that it would respond better to a council of
representatives who were appointed by their respective organizations to
"represent" the collective interests of the profession, rather than DMA
hearing from individuals who might be only representing themselves.  Once
the effectiveness of CUAC vis-a-vis DMA was proven (not that DMA has given
much since then) the CUAC concept was expanded to reach-out to all Federal
agencies that produce maps.  The central theme is for us to get to know
the problems and objectives of the Federal agencies, and the constraints
under which they work, and for the agencies to get to know our needs.

Linda Newman, U of Nevada-Reno, has written some history of CUAC, and you
might want to read my article in Wilson Library Bulletin, October 1985,
pg. 33-36, 79, "Map Librarianship: Suggestions for Improvement," for an
overview of CUAC's objectives, and a history of the problems that we saw
during the early years.  There are also reports in the WAML Information
Bulletin during that period.

I can't speak for CUAC's current situation.

Stan Stevens