From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:41:22 -0500
Subject:        Re: Seeking sources for aerial photos
Date:   Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:07:14 -0600
From:   Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Maps-L Moderator wrote:
> I have a faculty member who is seeking recent aerial photos of Sugar
> Land Town Square in Sugar Land, Texas; the Bellevue Civic Plaza in
> Bellevue, Washington; and the Englewood Civic Plaza in Englewood,
> Colorado.  The Specific requirements of her project are for the images
> to be no less than 8" per side in TIFF format at 300 dpi.  Does anyone
> have suggestions on sources outside of Google that we might search?

  Depending on how "recent", many of these areas can be accessed through the USGS Seamless
webserver

  http://seamless.usgs.gov

  The USGS Urban Areas Hi-Res imagery project has very high-res (sometimes 1ft) color
imagery of many cities. Certainly Englewood, maybe Bellevue, not sure about Sugar Land.

  Also, the USDA NAIP program has imaged most of the US quite frequently (often once a
year), typically at 1m color. Some of this imagery is available through the USGS Seamless
site. Sometime you need to consult the USDA Lighthouse data server to access more years
and more products. These files are gigantic multi-gigabyte MrSID county mosaics.

http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/GatewayHome.html

  These data are all free of charge, but can be time-consuming to obtain. there are
commercial data sources that are easier, possibly more current or higher-resolution, but
quite a bit more expensive.

  I'd be happy to answer any questions about these privately.