From:
Susan Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:55:33 EDT
Upon perusal of some of the other proposals to go before MARBI and thanks to
the eagle-eye of one of the subscribers to the list, I have become aware of
another item to bring to your attention.

Proposal 98-11 (Changes to the USMARC Holdings/Bibliographic Formats Resulting
from the New Holdings Standard (Z 39.71)) suggests change to allow for
accommodation of the new holdings standard that was recently passed.  The new
standard (Z39.71) uses the coding for the physical form designator from the 007
fields but some changes are needed.  The paper proposes adding the value "u"
for Unknown to the 007/01 (Specific material designation) of all forms of
materials except Computer Files (where the value is already defined), changing
value "#" (blank) for No type specified to "u" for Unknown in the 007/01
(Specific material designation) for Remote Sensing, and changing the name of
007 (Map) to 007 (Cartographic material).

If you have any comments on this or any of the other proposals and discussion
papers going before MARBI, please either share them with the list or with me.

Susan Moore
Cataloging Department
Rod Library
University of Northern Iowa