From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:54:15 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:20:36 +1100
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Halfway, Oregon goes the whole hog?
Sender: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>

>From today's (Fri 14 Jan 00) Melbourne "Age":

"People of Halfway seek a net gain", dateline Los Angeles

There is no shortage of towns with weird names in the US - Boring, Needy,
and Truth or Consequences are all registered municipal names. But next
tuesday, the good people of Halfway, Oregon, will brave 1.2metre-high snow
drifts to decide whether their town should become the first to be named
after an internet company.
        The 345 inhabitants of the little town on the Idaho state border will vote
on whether the name of their home should be changed fomr Halfway to
Half.com - and nothing has caused this much of a stir in the town for years.
        The idea came from a Philadelphia-based Internat company, Half.com, which
was looking for a publicity gimmick. "We're still negotiating the final
details," said Kristin Keyes, a spokesman [sic] for Half.com. "But what
we're talking about is building a website for them, possibly seed money for
new enterprises and other things."
        The town's mayor, Dick Crow, said 95 residents wanted to go ahead with the
change at the last council meeting, with three against. "I hope it creates
jobs," he said.
        but not everyone is convinced. Opponents say that the move gives the
impression that the town is on its last legs and will sell its soul for a
mess of websites.
 - Guardian.

Can someone in Oregon or Idaho keep an eye on this and report back after
Tuesday if we need to update all our Oregon maps?
It reminds me of the town in Japan that changed its name to Usa, so it
could legitimately print "Made in USA" on all its exports to America... and
the professional footballer here in Australia who changed his name to that
of a petfood, admittedly for just one game, as a sponsorship deal!

Perhaps what Halfway really needs is federal funding for a drug rehab
centre, so that addicts can get out into the Oregon wilds and get clean,
without city temptations. They could call it the Halfway House...

Brendan Whyte
University of Melbourne
--- End Forwarded Message ---