From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2009 08:27:28 -0500
Subject:        Henry VIII's map of Boulogne
Date:   Tue, 26 May 2009 13:28:59 +0000
From:   Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To:     AMC <[log in to unmask]>, mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

An item about maps on BBC's "Making History" programme:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jmqsc

 Henry VIII's siege of Boulogne in 1544.
 A regular contributor to Making History, the British Library's Keeper of
Maps Peter Barber, thinks he has discovered a lost "view" from Henry VIII's
siege of Boulogne in 1544. The image is part of the Cotton Collection and
spent much of the recent past on the shelves of the Library's archives
until
Peter had a 'eureka' moment a few months back. His theory is that this is
the fourth and final 'map' of a series commissioned by Henry to not only
mark his successful attack on Boulogne but publicise it in England and
beyond - effectively Tudor spin.

Peter told Making History that he knew he had made an important discovery.
"I realised immediately that this was the final picture in the Boulogne
series. There was no question in my mind: everything was right, the view,
the scale, even the buildings. Then I notice! d that one of the
buildings had
the salamander of Francis I of France, his personal symbol, therefore the
drawing had to be contemporaneous with Henry VIII and his campaign."

The Boulogne drawing will be on display at the British Library from 23
April
to 6 September 2009 as part of the exhibition Henry VIII - see links
section
on the page given above.

Brendan Whyte

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
Spaces. It's easy! Try it!
<http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us>