From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:49:35 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:03:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Epson Expression 836XL Color Scanner
Sender: Kathryn Womble <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hi all-- we're close to recommending this scanner for purchase for the Map
Collection (see www.epson.com/imaging/scanners/expression836/)  It's about
$2200 US for PC and has a 12"x17" flatbed scanning area, comes bundled
with Adobe Photoshop LE software.

If anyone has any experience with this scanner, I'd appreciate hearing
comments. In fact, we'd like to hear general comments from anyone who's
providing scanning services to the public in a map collection (i.e. costs,
staff training and time involved, maintenance issues, use policies, etc.)

This scanner has a minimum resolution of 800 x 1600 dpi and we're
concerned about the file sizes this will generate.  With Photoshop
the user can resample the images and lower that resolution to smaller
files, but still keep good enough for their needs (300-400 dpi
range for most?)  Does anyone else do this?  How's it working for you?

Any comments/suggestions appreciated.  Thanks Kathryn

Kathryn Womble                          e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Map Collection                          Phone: (206) 543-9392
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900
Seattle, WA  98195-2900

--- End Forwarded Message ---