From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 07:55:18 -0500
Subject:        Pre-war map of French Indochina?
Date:   Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:28:18 +0000
From:   Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To:     mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

Does anyone have a copy of
"Carte de Service Geographique de l'Indochine - Echelle de 1:500,000"
dated pre-1941.
particularly whichever sheets cover the area between the current
Lao-Cambodian border, and the provinces of Siem Reap, Battambang and
Pursat in NW Cambodia.

I have a treaty between France and Thailand (May 1941) ending a border
war, which defines the new boundary as following "le parallel du
quinzieme grade" on this map (series), but this is not tranlateable as
the 15th degree of latitude, which is way to far north, so I am hoping
the map has a weird gid with a line numbered "15"...

I am also hoping that this map will show Cambodian province boundaries
which are also used to define the new boundary further west.
(The bounday only lasted until 1946, when Thailand had to retrocede the
Cambodian areas it obtained in 1941).

Can anyone with! a copy of this map please contact me offlist?

Thank you

Brendan Whyte

Dr Brendan Whyte
Faculty of Management Science
Ubon Ratchathani University
Warin Chamrup - Det Udon Road
Ubon Ratchathani 34190
THAILAND
Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
Spaces. It's easy! Try it!
<http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us>