Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 14:52:06 EST

_

  Please excuse cross-posting to MapHist and Maps-L

            MAP SOCIETIES AROUND THE WORLD

Can I enlist your support with an inventory of map societies to
be included in the 'What's What' section of 'Who's Who in the
History of Cartography' (D8).  I am aware that Bob Highbarger is
compiling a more detailed inventory for the International Map
Collectors' Society.  These two initiatives are in support of one
another.

We need to complete the text of this Vade Mecum section by the
end of THIS month (or just into March).  We intend to list as
many map societies as possible (assuming that all have some
interest in history) with just three pieces of information: date
of formation, contact name and address, and title of journal or
newsletter.  Given that D8 will have a life of a few years, an
institutional contact address might be preferable, but we will
include whatever we are given.

I list below the regional societies we know (there will be a
separate list of international ones).  Information is sought,
please, on:-

    1. Any OTHER map society
    2. [C] = contact name & address needed
    3. [F] = date of foundation needed
    4. [J] = title of journal or newsletter needed

Where there are no square brackets at the end I have all I need.
If you have the answer to any of my queries please let me know -
don't assume somebody else is going to!

Argentina: Sociedad Argentina de Protocartografia [C,F,J]

Australian Map Circle

Canada: Map Soc. of British Columbia; Canadian Cartographic Assn,
Hist. Cartography Interest Group [C,J]; Edmonton Map Soc. [C,J];
Ottawa Map Soc. [C,J]

Cyprus Assn of Map Collectors

Finland: Chartarum Amici [C,F,J]

Germany:Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hist. Kommissionen der Laender u
Landesgesch. Institut; Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Kartographie.

Greece: Society for Hellenic Cartography [C,J]

Israel Map Collectors' Soc.

Japan: ??

South African Map Collectors' Assn [C,J]

Switzerland: Arbeitsgruppe fur Kartengesch. der Schweiz. Gesch.
fur Kartographie.

UK.  Charles Close Society

USA: Arizona Map Soc. [F,J]
     Boston Map Soc.
     California Map Soc. [C,J]
     Chicago Map Soc.  [C,J]
     Map Soc. of Delaware River [C]
     Mercator Soc.
     Michigan Map Soc. [C,J]
     New York Map Soc. [C,J]
     Northern Ohio Bibliophilic Soc., Map Interest Committee
     Rocky Mountain Map Soc. [F,J]
     Surveyors Historical Soc. [C,F.J]
     Washington Map Soc.
     Wisconsin Map Soc - no longer functioning

(for the Editor and publishers of 'D8')
Tony Campbell, Map Librarian, British Library

PS If you are working in the history of cartography with a view
to publication and haven't completed a form, please contact me
IMMEDIATELY. Or if you need subscription details for the volume,
due out in the summer.  Or if you have had problems faxing the
input form.