From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:08:44 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: Serial Set map preservation
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:52:50 +1000
From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Herrick
If you have not considered this approach already my comments may help?!
Use the significance or otherwise of the material as your guide to how
it should be cared for.
If the material is unique and/or highly significant and should then be
preserved, then that is the first priority.
Secondly, determine what is the best way to conserve the item, taking
into account the resources and options available to you which you have
listed, but also the best way to treat the items..
You may need to remove from its binding if the maps are falling to
pieces and need individual treatment. If you have a conservator on staff
they may be able to work with you in suggesting the most appropriate
treatment.  The binding can then be retained with the then map sheets so
the whole provenence of the work is retained. Alternatively, take apart,
treat - which may include deacidification if they can take that, place
in mylar/or not place in mylar?! and put back together again.
We have very fragile butter maps, drawn in the latter part of the
nineteenth century which we have enscapulated in mylar.  We have since
digitised the items to a preservation standard so they can be viewed
online from the catalogue record.  The originals can now also be safely
handled if necessary.
We have also for the last four years been actively scanning our rare
(pre-1900) map collections.  We generally do conserve the items first
before we scan.  This has meant that users offsite, and now all around
the world can access the material, and can seek high quality
reproduction copies for whatever purpose.
So to answer your last question - yes we do take active steps to
conserve such resources.  Once they are gone, they are gone and may not
be able to be replaced!
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator