From:
Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:05:23 -0800
Colleagues:

In case you haven't heard about it, and I know many of you on this list are not WAML members (and why aren't you?  It's not just for those of us in the West), I'd like to announce that registration is open for this fall's Western Association of Map Libraries meeting.

We will gather on the campus of UCLA from September 3 through 6.  The conference is an affordable $85, which includes lunch on Thursday and Friday.  We have scheduled a full program of 8 presentations--that's 4 times the mappy content of an ALA meeting, at a third of the price!  Plus: far fewer committee meetings  ;)

Our talks feature everything from a new collection of 20th century maps and atlases at the LA Public Library to an introduction to linked spatial data for the semantic web.

Our Saturday field trip is currently being organized, but we know it will include a docent led tour of the Hammer Museum on the UCLA campus, and it's gonna be FREE!!  Very affordable housing is available on campus, a short walk away from our meeting venue.

If you have never attended a WAML meeting before, please do consider joining us in Los Angeles.  It's going to be a great meeting.  Details and registration at:

http://www.library.ucsb.edu/map-imagery-lab/waml-ucla

Jon Jablonski    co-host: WAML-UCLA
Map & Imagery Laboratory
UC Santa Barbara