From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 21:30:46 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Brian Falato" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:58:11 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Cataloging of digitized maps

At the University of South Florida, we have digitized almost 200 historical maps. Most of them were scanned from paper copies we have in Special Collections, but some were loaned to us and we do not have the paper copies. We now want to put records for these digitized copies in OCLC and our OPAC (we already have access to them through our digital asset management system).

My question regards how I should proceed in cataloging them. On those that have records for the paper copies, would I basically copy the info in the print version record and add a reproduction note in the 533? Or should I be cataloging the digitized version and make reference to the print original? I know for print map facsimiles, the usual procedure was to catalog the facsimile, and then make a note about the original version. Is this recommended also when dealing with digitized copies of the original?

And is there a way to determine dimensions and scale for digitized maps when we don't have the paper maps? Some of them have a bar scale but I'm not certain how to get a correct reading when I'm dealing only with a digital copy. When I was putting info on the maps into our digital asset management system, I looked for records on them to copy information. But for some I could not find any records. If I can't determine scale, what wording should I use? Should dimensions be left blank in the 300 field and a note given to explain that dimensions are unknown?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Brian Falato
Special & Digital Collections
University of South Florida Libraries
Tampa, FL 33620