From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:59:38 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:48:55 -0600
From: Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Digitizing Sanborns
Sender: Michael Miller <[log in to unmask]>

I apologize for chiming in on this subject so late, but I just today dug out
the info I had on this topic.

Bell & Howell is in the process of digitizing Sanborns ("660,000 maps from
12,000 American towns and cities"), 1867-1970, and making these available
via the web. Access can be purchased or leased by state or for the whole
collection. Their website is:
http://bellhowell.infolearning.com

I can't comment too much on quality as the Texas set is not yet available.
The Bell & Howell rep said they are scanning the microfilm set
(Chadwyck-Healey, now B & H), so the maps will be black and white. Also,
they do not have a search interface (yet), though B&H does plan to add this
feature in the future.

Hope this helps.

Michael C. Miller
Special Collections Librarian
Dallas Public Library, Texas/Dallas History & Archives
1515 Young St.
Dallas TX 75201
(214)670-1440

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Isaac Asimov, Foundation.
--- End Forwarded Message ---