From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly J Presley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:24:39 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 12:10:01 -0400
From: Beverly J Presley <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FYI: New AMICO Distributor: Cartography Associates  (David
Rumsey )
Sender: Beverly J Presley <[log in to unmask]>

Fellow Cartophiles,
I recently learned of this development and thought might be of interest to
some of you.  If it is old news, my apologies.

Beverly Presley
Map Library
Clark University
950 Main Street
Worcester, MA  01610-1477

Art Museum Image Consortium
www.amico.org
Enabling Educational Use of Museum Multimedia

AMICO Press Release
March 25, 2002

Greater Delivery Choices for The AMICO Library (TM):  David Rumsey and AMICO
Sign Distribution Agreement
Rumsey chooses Luna's Insight software as distribution environment

AMICO Headquarters; Pittsburgh, PA - The Art Museum Image Consortium
(AMICO) and Cartography Associates, owned by David Rumsey, have
signed a distribution agreement to deliver The AMICO Library (TM) for
higher education and scholarly use. Cartography Associates, a
provider of online digital images of rare 18th and 19th century North
and South American cartographic history materials, is the latest in a
series of distributors, announced in recent months, making The AMICO
Library available at reasonable rates with different functional and
interface flexibility. Our objective is to make The AMICO Library
widely available for a variety of user types, from small art
institutes to large public library systems, K-12 schools to state
universities, and to provide users with a choice of service providers
so they may select one that particularly suits their unique needs.

For its presentation of The AMICO Library, Cartography Associates has
chosen Luna Imaging's Insight software as the delivery platform.  The
collection will be available for the Fall 2002 term to educators and
scholars within institutions, as well as for individual unaffiliated
scholars, for an annual subscription rate.   Luna Imaging will
provide hosting and customer services for Cartography Associates.

As AMICO's Executive Director, Jennifer Trant, notes, "Cartography
Associates is a wonderful addition to our growing group of
distributors.  David Rumsey's existing experience with online image
distribution and his alliance with Luna Imaging are of great interest
to AMICO.  We hope these connections will help build links to and
added functionality for a much broader range of scholarly users of
The AMICO Library in communities beyond those we currently serve.
David Rumsey's vision coordinates well with AMICO's desire to widen
and deepen educational use of museum collections through network
technologies."

The addition of The AMICO Library as the second collection of
Cartography Associates supports the vision of David Rumsey to provide
a broad range of cultural materials to both educators and scholars
and the ability to integrate cultural materials from several
disciplines in ways never before achieved for scholarly exploration
at the highest level of quality possible using the Internet.

"I am pleased to be able to bring this important collection from
major museums together with powerful software that I believe in,"
Rumsey says.  "I want to make the availability of The AMICO Library
as affordable and as accessible to as many people as possible.  My
relationship with Luna Imaging will allow us to serve customers by
offering an exciting array of software tools for accessing and
viewing this outstanding collection of art images."

About David Rumsey and Cartography Associates
  Cartography Associates provides presentation of historical maps and
other culturally significant materials for research and education
using the Internet.  Cartography Associates was founded by map
collector David Rumsey in 1996 to provide online distribution of
digital images from his private collection of rare 18th and 19th
century North and South American maps.  The David Rumsey Map
Collection, one of the largest private map collections in the United
States, numbers over 150,000 maps and includes rare atlases, charts,
globes, wall maps and related items.  The online collection,
currently numbering over 6,500 maps, is a growing cross section of
the physical collection and is highly regarded by researchers and the
public alike, as evidenced by the thousands of Web site visitors each
day to www.davidrumsey.com.  Rumsey's site has been featured in Wired
Magazine, USA Today, and TechTV and has received numerous Web awards,
including Yahoo Pick of the Week, and Best of the Net from About.com

For more information regarding the availability of The AMICO Library
from Cartography Associates, contact Jennifer Zabriskie at 310 274
8787, ext. 121.

About AMICO

The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) is a growing, independent
non-profit (501c3) corporation.  Founded in 1997, the Consortium
today is made up of over 35 major museums in the United States,
Canada, and the United Kingdom.  It's an innovative collaboration -
not seen before in museums - that shares, shapes, and standardizes
digital information regarding museum collections and enables its
educational use.  Membership is open to any institution with a
collection of art.

Together AMICO Members build The AMICO LibraryTM a compilation of
multimedia documentation of works in their collections.  The 2002
edition of The AMICO Library documents approximately 100,000
different works of art, from prehistoric goddess figures to
contemporary installations; new works are added annually.  More than
simply an image database, AMICO Library works are fully documented
and may include curatorial text, detailed provenance information,
multiple views, and other related multimedia.  Subscribers find The
AMICO Library valuable because it combines the immediacy and
accessibility of the Web with the persistence and academic weight of
traditional library reference sources.

The AMICO Library is accessible over secure networks to licensed
subscribers such as universities, colleges, libraries, schools, and
museums. Over 3 million users on four continents include faculty,
students, teachers, staff, researchers, and public library patrons.
Educational subscribers receive access to The AMICO Library through
one of our Distributors. A subscription to The AMICO Library provides
rights to use works for a broad range of educational purposes.
Potential subscribers may preview a Thumbnail Catalog of The AMICO
Library, request a free trial from our Distributors, and get further
information at http://www.amico.org.

Contact Information

Jennifer Trant
Executive Director