From:
Patrick McGlamery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1993 11:50:30 EDT
To start some discussion:

A quick reading of the VP's "Report of the National Performance Review"
points to two important issues:

1. Chapter 2.  Putting Customers First
   "Perhaps the oddest federal monopoly is the Government Printing
Office...(it goes on to describe the awkward adjustment of GPO to
computer publishing and VP Gore makes the recommendation...)  Action:
Eliminate the Government Printing Office's monopoly."

2. Appendix A. Major Recommendations by Agency
   "Establish a National Spatial Data Infrastructure by supporting a
cross-agency coordinating effort, the federal government can develop a
coherent vision for the national spatial data infrastructure (NSDI).
(Spatial, or geographic information refers to information that can be
placed on a map.)  This will allow for greatly improved information
analysis in a wide range of areas, including the analysis of environmental
information and the monitoring of endangered animals and sensitive land areas.
$36,000,000 to go to recommentation

So...

What I see as the "problem" here is that the game is changing.
Spatial information is clearing moving into a more central position
in the arena.

If we as map librarians want to assure our role as arbiters of spatial
information we must assert ourselves, indicate our experience and aptitude
for dealing with spatial information and dominate the field.  Otherwise
it is going to be taken from us by generalists in the library and spatial
information to our clients will be set back while those generalists get up
to the speed where we are now.

Therefore, I recommend that WORKING map librarians, not simply govdoc libr'ns
with depository responsibility for the maps format have a percentage of the
seats on depository library council.

Can we discuss this and add to it (or subtract?)

  PATRICK MCGLAMERY
  MAP LIBRARIAN U-5M
  HOMER BABBIDGE LIBRARY
  UNIV. OF CONNECTICUT