From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:44:39 -0500
Subject:        Re: Copy cataloging question Northern and Southern Karafuto
1:50,000
Date:   Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:40:45 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

I just did some poking around in the LCNAF, then Classweb, and even
looked at my trusty (not-so-trusty in this case) Hammond World Atlas to
see what's going on with Karafuto. When I originally read this note I
immediately thought of the case of the two islands of New Zealand, but
this is maybe more of a parallel situation to the Korean Peninsula and
how the two parts are classified. Anyway, from what I can gather:

G7330 is the correct class number for Sakhalinskaia oblast (Russia),
which is the correct heading for what was once called Karafuto (Japan).
See ARN 464882 and read the first 667 note on Usage of this heading. A
bit further down the 670's describe how Sakhalin Island was ceded to
Russia in 1905, so once again politics makes map cataloging difficult!

If the map you are working with is topic-based then you'd class it as
G7331 and add the appropriate subject code.

Apparently G7335 and G7336 are unassigned numbers in the G-schedule, so
perhaps someone at your library decided to "borrow" these for this
particular place? If these /were/ assigned to be used as region-based
class numbers then logically G7336 plus a geographic area code would work.

Some reading on Wikipedia for Sakhalin Island helps to clarify the
"Southern" and "Northern" aspects of your maps, the island is a single
geographic entity and not split into two northern and southern islands
(instead, during a period of time the area north of 50 degrees latitude
was inhabited by Russians and considered "northern" and below that line
the "southern" portion was inhabited by Japanese). Given this, I think
your maps should be classed as either G7330 if they are general in
nature (non-themed or topic-based) or G7331 if they are based on a topic
such as geology or roads or topography, etc. So, if you currently have
two sets of maps based on a "northern" and "southern" aspect it may be
best to merge these into one set and class them as I've suggested above.
Meaning...if there's not copy in OCLC for these as a single set you're
gonna need to have someone do original cataloging.

Naturally, since I don't have access to these maps what I suggest above
may be all hogwash, I'm basing my opinions on what the information is
that has been shared.

Good luck Becky!

Paige