Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:53:53 EST
Dear All,

NEWS FROM BARTHOLOMEW - MARCH 1996

Unfortunately I have been too busy to do one of these for a while, so
there is a reasonable amount to report.

1 Paper Maps & Atlases

The new 7th Edition Times Concise Atlas has been selling extremely well.
The stock that was supposed to last 18 months went in 6, so this is now
going to a full reprint.

Another extremely successfull new title has been 'The Munro Map'. Munros
are Scottish Mountains over 3000 feet (there are 276 I believe) and are
ardently collected by many hillwalkers including most of our staff (or
so it seems!). Temporarily out of stock, but a reprint is in progress.

There are far too many other new titles to include here, but the January to
June 1996 stocklist is now available, and a 1996 colour catalogue will be
out shortly. Send me a request if you would like either or both.

2 Digital Map Data

We have changed our licence arrangements so that a purchase of digital data
now works the same way as buying most software. The licence is valid
indefinitely so long as the licencee adheres to the terms. This should be
a great benefit to those wishing to maintain an archive since there is
no need to keep renewing the licence (and paying each time as many of
our UK competitors insist). Naturally updates are available annually for a
fee and we would hope most people would want to keep their data up to date.

A FREE CD of sample data will be available in a couple of weeks. This contains
samples of all our databases in both raster and vector form. All vector samples
are in Arcinfo, Arcview, Mapinfo, Atlas BNA, DXF and ArcInfo Ungenerate formats.

We now have available a CD of TIFF 256 colour raster imagery for Greater
London. This contains 221 5km by 5km tiles. The images are at a scale
of 1:20000 and in the style of the Nicholson Greater London Street Atlas.
The images are directly created from our database so have no scanning artifacts.
They are at a 150 pixel per cm (381 dpi) resolution.

Following shortly will be our 'London Maps on CD-ROM' data product for
use with Atlas*GIS, Mapinfo, Arcview, and Autocad (DXF) systems. This
contains the tiff images plus a full set of vector data. It is fully symbolised
and ready to run with both Mapinfo and Arcview. It is the second title in the
series following last year's launch of 'GB Maps on CD-ROM'.

In production at the moment is 'Europe Maps on CD-ROM', the third title in
the series. This will be a vector version of our Europe 1:1m database (far
more detailed and up to date than DCW). At the moment this is vector only,
but version 2 in the autumn will add a raster image in the new Collins Road
Atlas Europe style. Due to the size of the database separate CDs will be
available for Mapinfo and Arcview software (and possibly others).

Our World 1:5m and World 1:10m databases have now been completed (with one
or two areas excepted for the 5m). These are available, though not yet as
off the shelf CDs.

3 Electronic Titles

Coming soon will be the Nicholson Greater London Steet Atlas on CD. This
will run under Windows and is a fully configured software product. The
coverage is the same as the book, though with all the benefits associated
with an electronic title (seemless map, searching, etc).

The Times World Map & Database has achieved sales sufficient to put it into
the top 100 UK titles. Work is underway on the next version which will have
lots more data and functionality. It is expected in Autumn 1996.

4 World Wide Web

I hope that we will be able to get our own site soon. I am very keen to have
all the samples, demo versions of electronic titles, catalogue and so forth
online and downloadable as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time, and send me a note if I can provide any further info,
catalgue, stocklist, sample CD, etc.

Best Wishes

Tim Rideout
Bartholomew - HarperCollins Cartographic
Westerhill Road,
Bishopbriggs,
Glasgow, G64 2QT,
Scotland, Europe