From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:19:40 -0600
Subject:        RE: Indexing cartographic mathematical data
Date:   Fri, 5 Dec 2008 14:17:13 -0500
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Our catalog does not do this.  We are an III library, and now using Millennium, too.  But Millennium doesn't really enter into it with the OPAC.

We have begun using our records in a second display mode, not involving III proprietary form at all.  It is a faceted catalog using open source software (drupal; http://drupal.org/).  It allows more search capability on more levels than a traditional online catalog will do.  Access is here: http://beta.lib.muohio.edu/drupal/
You do not need to log in, although you will not be able to add tags of your own, or do a few other ancillary things.  You can see how searching and browsing work.  From browse it is possible to find materials by format or physical form (including maps) before needing to use subject, author, title, or keyword.  I have been advocating some additional functionality here with the 034 field, and with 052 field.  The folk working on this are interested.

The tagging function also allows versatility in topical headings.  I have found it useful where a subject heading in LCSH is so obtuse or complex that it is difficult (e.g. vegetation maps are headed Phytogeography -- Maps ; I've used forest maps, desert maps, etc. to cover vegetation regions and other terms).

Ken

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA