From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:15:05 -0500
pdf attached

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Help with Swedish - Slito harbour
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 19:04:55 +0000
From: Bertuca, David <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Angie, and all;

I have been writing this a bit and it hopefully is not too disorganized...

I think that what you are looking for is not that the port is FREE in
any governmental sense (independent), but that it was and OPEN port
during wartime, by government treaties with warring nations.
This is most likely what is going on, with the map. Sweden, being where
it is, has always been in between Russia and everyone else, so ports
being open or restricted during wars was a big thing.

I did some quick searching and reading, without much, but did hit this
from the Chronology of Sweden: http://worldtimeline.info/sweden/swed1815.htm

"In 1838,  Russian Tsar Nicolas convinces King Karl Johan to postpone
plans to make the Slite harbor on Gotland a free port."

His references:
[47.191] The Story of Sweden, by Stewart Oakley, 1966. P. 191
[48.319] Sweden - The Nation's History, by Franklin D. Scott, 1977. P. 319

The above is another incidence where the question of free/open appears,
in relation to Slite/Slito. Being on Gotland, this would  be a strategic
location for Russian ships to seek safety when needed (or to control
somehow for their use).
----------------------

The next part you have found, but I went to another publication from
Germany that had some of the same data, but also referenced other
documents and letters (see below)
In reading some Swedish history, I came across references to ports that
were listed as FREE, in this case meaning free for belligerent ships to
enter (Sweden was neutral) in 1854, which relates to the Crimean War.
The reference was in a document: April 28, 1855, from the US
Attorney-Gen'ls office. The document described ports that were open to
Britain, France, Sardinia, Turkey, and Russia.

The counter case of Great Britain as laid before the Tribunal of
arbitration convened at Geneva ... together with volumes V, VI, and VII
of appendix to the British case. Transmitted to Congress by President of
U.S. / Great Britain.; United States. 42d Cong. 2d sess., 1871-1872.
House.; Geneva Arbitration Tribunal.
3 p. 1., [5]-1105 p. fold. map, fold. tables. 23 cm.
Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1872.

pp. 708-714.
------------------------
In:
Sammlung officieller actenstücke in bezug auf schiffahrt und handel in
kriegszeiten ... herausgegeben von Adolph Soetbeer.
Hamburg: , 1855-1856.
OCLC: 793566561
Available on HathiTrust:
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/api/volumes/oclc/236108616.html

more is described. In this, they reprint the US document text, however,
they list it as an example of neutrality of ports, and give references
to original Swedish materials (see attached pdf of page).

.rt of Slito in Gothland, inside the batteries of Eneholm. See the
Swedish Circular in the Post-och-Inrikes Tidninga, of January 24th, 1854
["Post and Domestic Times" the official gov't gazette]. in the same
spirit, and in the exercise of the same right, Denmark has reserved to
herself the faculty of interdicting to belligerents ships of war, nnd
even to.

The Post-och-Inrikes Tidninga is online though so far I cannot gain
access to the 1854 issue noted above. LC has paper edition and Harvard
microfilm.
It will require Swedish to read (I have basic rusty Danish which is
close and some Swedish, which is less than adequate, though I can read
it enough to piece together the data you might want from this).

Again, I think that what you are looking for is not that the port is
FREE in any governmental sense (independent), but that it was and OPEN
port during wartime, by government treaties with warring nations.

I could try to go deeper, but this might already be what you are asking.
Let me know...

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672
716-645-1332 / 716-645-3710 (fax)

Liaison to the Geography Department for GIS and Physical Geography