From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Huber, Tom
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:34:06 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:44:59 -0500
From: "Huber, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: deaccessioning of national topographic map collections
<fwd>
Sender: "Huber, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>

Alice, HelenJane, Ilene, et. al...

Here at the Illinois State Library (a regional depository) we collect our
topos in this fashion:

For Illinois we have 2 copies of all the current 7.5s, and we collect/keep
as many copies of the old, superseded ones as we can lay our hands on
(within reason). This set is all but complete. We also have the DRGs & DOQs.

For the six states that surround Illinois we retain 1 copy of the current
and also collect/keep copies of the superseded. These sets aren't as
complete as our Illinois set.

For the rest of the country we keep only the current 7.5

As to the old 15s, we have a complete collection for Illinois, although a
few are only available on some pretty crappy microfilm. We also try to
collect/keep old 15s for the six states surrounding Illinois, but this
collection is our spottiest.

All our topos circulate, regardless of age. Naturally they get heavily used,
but luckily almost all of the frequent users realize the value of the maps
and take very good care of them. Nevertheless I try to "persuade" patrons to
let me make copies (we can copy in both b&w and color) and this seems to
work well for all of us. The 15s and most of our old 7.5s are encapsulated
and de-acidified when possible. And the current 7.5s are stored separately
from the superseded. Illinois topos also have a separate storage area.

As for records we have checklists for both current & superseded Illinois
topos, 7.5 and 15, that can be found here:
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/library/isl/ref/lstopo_quads.html

And there is a checklist for our historical topos of the six states
surrounding Illinois. It can be found here:
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/library/isl/ref/historical_topos.html

(We also have these checklists in paper if anybody's interested)

Finally the current 7.5s are cataloged, while the 15s are not.

Any other questions? Drop me a line...

Tom

Tom Huber
Asst. Map Librarian
Illinois State Library
300 S. 2nd.
Springfield, IL 62701-1796
(217) 782-5823
FAX: (217) 557-6737

"I have an existential map.  It has 'you are here' printed all over it."
        --Steven Wright