From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 12:53:37 EDT
3 messages, including thanks.-------------------------Johnnie

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:33:00 EDT
>Subject: RE: Scottish place name inquiry

Dear Gwen,

Dryfesdale is the parish centred on Lockerbie, and takes its name
from the Dryfe Water. Hillside appears to consist of one or two
buildings located on the B723 just over 2 miles due north of
Lockerbie. There is no mention on the Bartholomew 1:100000 map of
a Clughfoots. I suspect it is the name of a farm or croft, or
perhaps was one which has now disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Tim Rideout
Bartholomew

>From: Christopher Fleet <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Scottish place name inquiry
>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 96 9:44:30 BST

> I have a patron who is trying to locate Clughfoots, near Hillside, parish of
> Dryfesdale in Scotland.  The reference comes from an 1823 biography.  The
> Commerical Gazetteer of Great Britain describes Dryfesdale as a parish
> encircling Lockerbie in the county of Dumfries.  My patron is hoping to
> travel to Clughfoots and needs to verify it's location.  Neither the
> Commercial Gazetteer nor the DMA gazetteer of the United Kingdom list a
> Clughfoots.  Can anyone out there help?  Thanks.  Gwen Curtis
>
> Gwen Curtis ([log in to unmask])
> Map Collection
> University of Kentucky Libraries
> Lexington, KY 40506-0039
> (606) 257-1853

Dear Gwen,

There is a Cleughfoot near Hillside in the old parish of Dryfedale at
the National Grid Reference NY 140859. This seems very likely to be the
place your patron is searching for, as it is shown on maps in the early
19th century, and there are no other Cleughfoot/Clughfoots names I could
find in this parish. Cleughfoot is about four kilometers north of Lockerbie
and is shown on Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 and larger scale maps.

Hope this helps,

Chris Fleet.

Christopher Fleet              [log in to unmask]  or
Assistant Map Curator          [log in to unmask]
National Library of Scotland   Telephone  +44 (0)131 226 4531
Edinburgh, Scotland.           Fax        +44 (0)131 668 3472

>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:15:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Clughfoots

Thanks to those who responded to my place-name inquiry.  It appears that
Clughfoots is actually Cleuchfoot, about 2.5 miles north of Lockerbie.  I'm
sure my patron will be greatly appreciative. -- Gwen Curtis