From:
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 14:57:08 -0400
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Documents/Maps/Business Reference]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 12:30:30 -0400
From: "Mark A. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Andrew,
We have a combined gov docs and maps dept.

However, we're in the process of merging the service points for
docs/maps and reference.  Supposedly, there will still be separate
departments (e.g., docs processing will continue to be separate), but I
don't know how long that will last. By this fall or next spring the
service points will be merged (i.e., docs/maps won't have a service
desk, except maybe for circulation purposes). It's all still in the
works.

Besides maps, the gov docs permanent collection consists of Federal and
UN paper documents.  Also, on fiche: NC agency pubs, EU, UN, and US
federal pubs.  We also have reference books and often the latest annual
volume of books from North Carolina, other states, and other IGO's
(earlier editions go up to regular stacks).  Federal level documents
from other countries, however, are not part of our collection or
reference duties.

--Mark
Mark Thomas / [log in to unmask] / 919-660-5853, fax:919-684-2855
Economics, Geology, Geography Bibliographer
Map and GIS Librarian / Public Documents and Maps Department
025 Perkins Library / Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0177