From:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 02:31:09 +0000
The National Library of Australia is seeking information on which map collections out there catalogue their series mapping at individual edition-of-the-sheet level, and how many only use series-level records (and who might use some combination of the two, or some other system).

Is there a previous survey that might give me data on the policies of non-Australian map collections, that someone could point me to?

Otherwise, can collections please email me offlist and let me know your policy?

To get the ball rolling, at present our own policy is to catalogue non-Australian series at series-level only (with an index online and in the reading room), and all Australian series at individual sheet/edition level.

Thanks!

Brendan

Dr Brendan Whyte

Assistant Curator of Maps

National Library of Australia

Parkes Place

Parkes

ACT 2600

AUSTRALIA

Ph: +61 2 6262 1192

Fax: +61 2 6262 1653

http://www.nla.gov.au/map/index.html

“Ordinary-sized words are for everyone, but the big ones are especially for children.”