From:
Michelle Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:47:40 EDT
     Hello Folks! I am trying to import various maps into a GIS based
     transport planning program and I am having trouble finding equivalent
     "projections" so that I can adjust my map layers to make them match
     up. Using several maps with different projections requires
     "registering" each map with a transformation filter to make them all
     compatible, and some of the maps I have don't correspond with the
     choices in the software program. I have one map thats done with a
     "Cylindrical Transverse Equal-Area Projection" and another one with a
     "Space Oblique Mercator Projection". However, the only choices I have
     in my software program are as follows:

     In the Middle Latitudes:

     Albers Equal Area                  Near Sided Pers, South Oblique
     Lambert Conformal Conic            Orthographic, South Oblique
     Lambert Equal Area                 Stereographic, South Oblique

     World Projections:    Equal Area = EA

     Bonne EA                           Collignon EA
     Eckert II EA                       Eckert IV EA
     Eckert VI EA                       Equidistant Cylindrical
     Fahey                              Gall Stereographic
     Goode Homolosine EA                Lambert Azimuthal EA
     Lambert Cylindrical EA             Loximuthal
     McBryde-Thomas FP Parabolic EA     McBryde-Thomas FP Quartic EA
     McBryde-Thomas FP Sinusoidal EA    Mercator (conformal)
     Miller                             Mollweide EA
     Near Sided Pers. - Equatorial      Near Sided Pers. - North Oblique
     Near Sided Pers. - South Oblique   Orthographic - Equatorial
     Orthographic - North Oblique       Orthographic - South Oblique
     Putnins P2 EA                      Quartic Authalic EA
     Robinson                           Sinusoidal EA
     UTM                                Van der Grinten
     Werner EA                          Winkel 1

     Does anyone know what the closest match would be among the choices I
     have available for transformations?? Much thanks in advance (and even
     just for getting all the way through this wacky message)!! By the way,
     the map is of the western borders of Argentina.

     Michelle <[log in to unmask]>