From:
Peter Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:11:46 EST
Wanted: Opinionated Maps

In preparing a Master's thesis I'm researching ways in which maps have been
used to present a particular point of view.  While all representations are
biased in one way or another, I'm looking for intentional bias.  The classic
example of this is the propaganda maps prepared during World War II, but I'm
looking for recent maps as well, maps which use the elements of cartography
to make an argument.  This might be in the business world, with
environmental concerns, in the political realm, and so on.  They might come
from informational brochures, direct mail or other sources.  Of particular
interest to me would be maps of the same area which support opposing views.
If you know of such maps and could direct me to them or have copies which
could be sent to me, I'd appreciate it a great deal.

Thank-you,

Peter Blanchard  6814 Chelsea St.  Madison, WI 53719