From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:57:49 -0500
Subject:        FW: Uk Independent - Maps will always have mileage [Or: OS
versus Google]
Date:   Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:37:35 +0100
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     'Maps-L' <[log in to unmask]>, 'A forum for issues related to map &
spatial data librarianship' <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     'Discussion group for map history' <[log in to unmask]>

First: to 'MAPS-L'; second: to 'Lis-maps' (but copied to 'MapHist'):-

The substance of 'The Independent' (UK) internet piece, as per URL
supplied in Tracey P. Lauriault's posting below, differs from the hard
copy version I saw over my early morning coffee (also today, Wed. 14th).

Those with access to the differently-illustrate article 'Mapping the
future' by the same Jerry Brotton in the section 'Independent Life',
spread generously over pp.8-9, will still discover - IMHO - that it's
virtually all an argument about Ordnance Survey [of Great Britain]
versus Google [Earth]. And one colored image - not on the earlier
posting's URL - is of "a globe [sic] from Google Earth" (i.e.
approximately 2/3 of a sphere) centered approximately on Dublin,
Republic of Ireland (not Georgia USA, where I once had a coffee stop en
route to SHD's Annual Meeting in Savannah). It cannot but fail to
incidentally remind some of us of the similar 2/3 of a sphere map to
illustrate the article 'Most of the world is at war' in 'The War Weekly
incorporating 'War Pictorial'' (London), issue no.13, 19 January 1940,
p.397. This map is centered approximately on Batum, and its total extent
is roughly the Andes - Alaska - New Zealand - Cape of Good Hope. (What
amazing trivia can be gleaned from the internet)

The hard copy text's historical background on Magellan et al. makes no
mention of Matteo Ricci SJ, yet the top circular b&w image is of a
northern hemisphere map that I suspect is an inset taken either from the
Ricci 1602 woodcut world map, or from its [1644+] slightly amended
reprint, which was recently a subject on 'MapHist' and on 'MAPS-L'. It
is vaguely referred to here as "A 1602 [sic] with China at its centre
(right)". However, as no credit to this hemispheric map is visible (or
maybe I wasn't yet sufficiently awake) on the hard copy version, and I
omitted to check the [1644+] state in the RGS this afternoon, I leave it
to others to verify the item.

Francis Herbert