From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:11:32 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:46 -0500
From: Iain Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: More geotrivia

The 'Queen Cities' list reminds me of a listing my wife and I started some time
back of 'World/ National capitals'.  I'm sure you've seen them along the
highway.

World capital of lobsters (Shediac, NB)
World's largest apple...
Canada's capital of lilacs...
The World's smallest...
The home of the US biggest...

They can get very bizarre.  What slowed the collection is the difficulty of
finding out about these without actually visiting every settlement in N.
America in person!  Even State/ Provincial tourist literature does not always
list them, as one suspects they are the products mostly of local chambers of
commerce fevered imagination.  Never-the-less there may often some slight claim
to fame.

Care to contribute?

To the Queen city list may I add Regina, Sask. ( a real Queen city) and suggest
that there are as many 'Hub cities' (Winnipeg, Man. for instance) around too,
especially from the days of railroad promotion.

iain taylor
Halifax NS