From:
"Brill, Margaret" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:31:21 EDT
MAGERT FIELD TRIP AT ALA ANNUAL, NYC

Our field trip, organized by Alice Hudson of the New York Public Library, will
be a walking tour, "Building Stones of New York City", led by Sidney Horenstein
of the American Museum of Natural History.  We will meet at 2:00 PM on Tuesday
July 9th on the steps of the NYPL, following the General Membership meeting,
which will be from 9:30 to 12:30 in the Convention Center.  You can catch a #42
bus cross town to 5th Ave.   There is a lovely little park (Bryant Park) next to
the library for a picnic lunch (take out from a deli?)
The cost will be $10.  There is no need to reserve ahead, but I would appreciate
an email ([log in to unmask]) if you are sure you will be coming.
Here is are two excerpts from the description of the tour:
"New York City, especially the island of Manhatten, is a treasure trove of
building stones, a repository of materials that are imported from many regions
of the world.  It is also a library of dimension stone no longer being
quarried".
"The study and documentation of building stones are important because we see:
1. How building stones respond to the porcesses of weathering;
2. How these stones are a record of changing architectural styes;
3. How they are an important resource for students, an outdoor classroom of
worldwide, stratigraphy and paleontology, including strata no longer exposed.
4. They serve as an excellent way to popularize geology."

Margaret Brill
Duke University
MAGERT Chair