From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:11:12 -0500
Subject:        Re: MARC 752 Added Entry–Hierarchical Place Name
Date:   Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:56:45 -0600
From:   Peter Peller <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi Angie,

According to the following page,
http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2005/2005-04R.html, "tgn" stands for the
Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names:

        2.3. Usage of multiple vocabularies/thesauri.

There are a number of hierarchical geographic vocabularies/thesauri that
some users might use, depending on the type/level of information desired
in the record. Some examples of other vocabularies/thesauri include: the
Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN)
<http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/tgn>;
the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
<%20http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/> from the United States
Geological Survey; the Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB)/ La
Base de données toponymiques du Canada (BDTC)
<http://geonames.nrcan.gc.ca/>; and the Peakbagger.com Mountain Range
Classification System (PEMRACS) <http://peakbagger.com/rangindx.aspx>.

Peter

--
Peter Peller
Maps, Academic Data and Geographic Information Centre (MADGIC)