From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 09:29:21 -0500
Subject:        RE: nautical chart practices
Date:   Mon, 11 May 2009 09:07:11 -0500
From:   Coombs, James <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>, Jon Jablonski

Yes, Jon we have done this. It was about a five year project.

We separated charts by scale. 1:2-3 mil+/- are classed by continents or
seas.  1:750k - 2mil +/-  are classed by region, and 1:750k and larger
are classed by country or U.S. state.  1:25k and larger +/- are usually
harbor charts, except that a lot of large scale charts with the title
"Approaches to ..." are classed as coastal charts because there is
usually a larger scale harbor chart for "...".

Harbor charts get G xxx1 .P55 svar. .U5
Coastal charts get G xxx2 .C6P5 svar. .U5
Charts showing an island or a major body of water get G xxx1 .P5 svar.
.U5

A lot of large scale maps of harbors and ports are shown as insets on
coastal charts.  I classed them as harbor charts if the harbor inset
comprised half or more of the sheet.

A chart that covers the coast of 2 or more regions/countries/states is
classed with the one that has the most coastline.  If it was equal, it
was classed with the next higher region, except if it had an inset, then
it was classed with the one that the inset was in.

Even with these guidelines, there are many judgement calls to make on
individual sheets.

We created index maps on photocopied pages from the DMA and NOAA chart
indexes. I have created a few index maps in Adobe Illustrated format,
which I can convert to .pdf or .jpg if you are interested.

Jim

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Duane G Meyer Library