From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 12:11:52 -0500
Subject:        lecture on Sat in Chicago
Date:   Thu, 18 May 2006 11:17:07 -0500
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     maps-l>

Saturday 20 May 2006

By: The
Time Start: 10:30:00 AM- Time End: 12:00:00 PM
Contact: Winnie Lu
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: (847) 251-1400, ext 0
Fax: (847) 256-5601

The arrival of the automobile on the American scene in the 20th century was a
major force in shaping the nation's geography and culture. At the same time,
the automobile road map became one of the most widely used types of maps in
history. Join James Akerman, Director of the Herman Dunlop Smith Center for
the History of Cartography at the Newberry Library, as he reviews the first
century of this often overlooked but indispensable artifact of the car culture,
from the earliest examples designed for intrepid travelers to the most recent
digital navigation systems. Along the way we will discover how road maps did
not merely tell us how to get from place to place but also who we are as
Americans.

Location: Gene Siskel Film Center, 164 N. State St., Chicago. (Accessible)

Cost: $6 per person at the door (Mention you saw this notice in Global Chicago
and receive a $2 discount.) College and high school students free with ID.

Refreshments provided.