From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 11:48:14 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:52:51 -0700
From: Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'MAPS-L' <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Storage Space in Map Collections

Hello All,

        When I was in a meeting about preservation supplies here at ASU
earlier today, I volunteered the fact that we had some storage space in the
Map Collection that might be used, and then told the people what we had
stored in this rather unique location (disassembled map case bases, extra
shelves and dividers for our oversized book shelves and large boxes that we
receive with our aerial photos).  Needless to say, I saw several amused and
surprised faces in the meeting when I told them about our storage location.
Therefore, I thought I would share it with the rest of you.

        Under each map case there is approximately 4-6 inches of dead space
that is not used.  A disassembled map case base can be stored crosswise in
this space.  Same goes for oversized photo boxes, shelves and shelf
dividers.  All you have to do is pull the bottom 2-3 drawers out of the
case, set them aside, stow your material and then replace the drawers.  Just
make sure that you map out or label what you have under each cabinet so you
can find it when and if it is needed.

        Hope that you all have fun de-cluttering your work spaces.  Linda
Zellmer

Linda Zellmer
Map Librarian
Arizona State University Libraries