From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:47:31 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Future of the 7.5" Quadrangles
Date:   Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:46:07 -0700
From:   Brian Bach <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I think I can safely say that all of us with Depository map collections are grateful to Linda for seeking out and distributing information on this important subject. The slowing (to a - crawl) of USGS 7.5" topo shipments has long been anticipated, but now that we are experiencing it, it is most helpful to know of the agency's future strategies.

The era of clockwork shipments of 7.5" topos may be passing, but, in my opinion, the needs for the cartographic information that USGS provides are increasing. In the Ellensburg WA area, the topo coverage hasn't been updated since 1978. Like many western communities, such as Missoula, MT, Bend OR, etc., the development here has been considerable. We cannot, however, expect any new editions. The new National Forest editions, covering territory nearby, are outstanding, but adjacent topo coverage is significantly inadequate.  So yes, any USGS MoD services would be welcomed. But yes, the problem of good plotter access is certainly an issue here, as is the practical actuality and cost of such a process.

I don't wish to sound too 'bloggish' in my observations in this matter, but I have learned to lower any expectations as far as grand old traditions in Depository sendings are concerned. Being spoiled is usually a bittersweet experience in cases such as these.

Conversely, there is considerable refreshment to be found in the product of more local agencies (utilizing USGS data, as indicated in Mike's responses below). The WA state Depts. of Natural Resources and Fish and Wildlife are producing some welcome and attractive maps. They attend to local information not readily found on previous government maps, particularly in areas such as Kittitas County, which has long been under-documented. The influence of GIS is to be noted, but there is also the fact that Kittitas County lies just to the east of King County and the conurbation of Seattle and the I-5 corridor, thus the heightened interest, on many levels, in this less-developed region. In line with the state's general trend of rapid development, the DNR has issued a Public Lands Quadrangle series, based on the national and BLM 1:100,000 series, but with WA state-prioritized overlays. The resulting maps are some of the most coherent and helpful that have so far appeared of this regio!
 n. Also, Fish & Wildlife are cooperating with local organizations in updating their 'Green Dot' maps to GIS. These maps show legitimate road access in nearby wilderness areas.

As always, maps lead the way ahead. Development of our relatively pristine region has its share of controversies. Strictly in the map context though, I hope this area, which is quickly being 'discovered', merits USGS currency as much as any other in the US.

'Future' talk of the recent past has undoubtedly become 'now' talk. In other words, many speculations on the subject of the future of the 7.5" topos have now been confirmed. Maybe.

Brian

Brian P. Bach
Documents/Maps
Brooks Library