From:
IRA S LOURIE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 16:19:38 EDT
******* This notice is cross listed on Maps-l and Maphist, please
        forgive the inconvenient!

Maps-l and Maphist Recipients:

I have been studying the World Atlases of Alvin J. Johnson from
1860-1887.  My study has focused on identifying and describing
the numerous states of the US maps.  To date I have identified 64
different maps with over 570 states.  I have had trouble finding
atlases from the years 1875 to 1879.  There was a news article in
the Map Collector last fall asking for information on Johnson
atlases from these years.  In response I learned of an 1877 atlas
at Northwestern University.  I have also found a partial 1879,
and a partial 1877.  I would appreciate information on any other
complete or partial atlases in libraries, private collections, or
dealer's stock (breakers are acceptable) from those years.

In addition, I am trying to develop a list of all publicly
available Johnson World Atlases for publication.  So I would
appreciate it if you could take the time and send or e-mail
citations to me on all Johnson atlases that you have in your
collections. I've tried to get them off the electronic catalogs,
but they are often incomplete.  I already have listings from the
LOC, NYPL, Yale, Newberry, and Brown Libraries.

Thank you.  My address is:

Ira S. Lourie               E-mail: [log in to unmask]
6706 Old Stage Road
Rockville, MD 20852
USA